(a) An employee may take an active part in political management or in political campaigns; provided, that an employee shall not:
(1) Use his official authority or influence for the purpose of interfering with or affecting the result of an election;
(2) Knowingly solicit, accept, or receive a political contribution from any person, except if the employee has filed as a candidate for political office;
(3) File as a candidate for election to a partisan political office; or
(4) Knowingly direct, or authorize anyone else to direct, that any subordinate employee participate in an election campaign or request a subordinate to make a political contribution.
(b) The Mayor, the Attorney General, and each member of the Council may designate one employee while on leave to perform any of the functions described in subsection (a)(2) of this section; provided, that:
(1) The employee shall not perform the activities while the employee is on duty or in any room or building occupied in the discharge of official duties in the District government, including any agency or instrumentality thereof;
(2) Any designation pursuant to this subsection shall be made in writing by the Mayor and the Attorney General to the Secretary of the District of Columbia and by any member of the Council to the Secretary to the Council;
(3) Any designated employee shall file a report within 15 days of being designated and as otherwise required pursuant to § 1-1162.24; and
(4) The Mayor, the Attorney General, and the Council shall issue standards of conduct implementing this subsection.
Effect of Amendments
For temporary (90 days) amendment of this section, see § 2(b) of the Prohibition on Government Employee Engagement in Political Activity Emergency Amendment Act of 2013 (D.C. Act 20-25, March 7, 2013, 60 DCR 3986, 20 DCSTAT 485).
For temporary (90 days) amendment of this section, see § 2(b) of the Prohibition on Government Employee Engagement in Political Activity Congressional Review Emergency Amendment Act of 2013 (D.C. Act 20-231, December 20, 2013, 61 DCR 3, 20 DCSTAT 2633).
For temporary (225 days) amendment of this section, see § 2(b) of the Prohibition on Government Employee Engagement in Political Activity Temporary Amendment Act of 2013 (D.C. Law 20-4, May 18, 2013, 60 DCR 4624, 20 DCSTAT 1268).