An order awarding physical or legal custody of a child to a third party shall not terminate the parent and child relationship, including:
(1) The right of the child to inherit from his or her parent;
(2) The parent’s right to visit or contact the child, except as limited by court order;
(3) The parent’s right to consent to the child’s adoption;
(4) The parent’s right to determine the child’s religious affiliation; and
(5) The parent’s responsibility to provide financial, medical, and other support for the child.
Effect of Amendments
D.C. Law 17-353 validated a previously made technical correction in the section designation.
For temporary (90 day) addition, see § 2(b) of Safe and Stable Homes for Children and Youth Emergency Amendment Act of 2007 (D.C. Act 17-69, July 9, 2007, 54 DCR 6826).