The functions of the Office shall be to:
(1) Educate the public, including District residents and employers, about Unit A of this chapter (“Human Rights Act”);
(2) Undertake investigations and public hearings on racial, religious, or ethnic group tensions, prejudice, intolerance, bigotry, disorder, and on any form of unlawful discrimination pursuant to the Human Rights Act;
(3) Receive, review, and investigate complaints of unlawful discrimination in employment, housing, public accommodations, or educational institutions;
(5) Mediate complaints of unlawful discrimination in employment, housing, public accommodations, or educational institutions to help parties to a complaint reach a voluntary settlement;
(6) Conciliate complaints of unlawful discrimination in employment, housing, public accommodations, or educational institutions, after the Office has made a finding of probable cause to believe that an act of unlawful discrimination has occurred, to help the parties to a complaint reach a voluntary settlement;
(7) Certify a complaint to the Office of the Corporation Counsel for legal action needed, in the Director’s judgment, to preserve the status quo or to prevent irreparable harm to a party to the complaint;
(8) Forward to the Commission on Human Rights, for a hearing, decision, and order, any complaint that has resulted in a finding of probable cause by the Office;
(9) Issue, adopt, promulgate, amend, and rescind such rules and procedures as the Director deems necessary to effectuate the provisions of this unit, in accordance with procedures promulgated pursuant to subchapter I of Chapter 5 of this title; and
(10) On or before January 2, 2018, develop and conduct a public information campaign to educate employees and employers about the requirements of Unit A of this chapter, pertaining to unlawful discriminatory practices based on the credit information of an individual.
Effect of Amendments
D.C. Law 13-313 added par. (9).
Applicability of D.C. Law 21-256: § 4 of D.C. Law 21-256 provided that the change made to this section by § 3 of D.C. Law 21-256 is subject to the inclusion of the law’s fiscal effect in an approved budget and financial plan. Therefore that amendment has not been implemented.
For temporary (90-day) addition of subchapter IV, see notes following § 2-1411.01.