*NOTE: This section includes amendments by temporary legislation that will expire on February 4, 2022. To view the text of this section after the expiration of all emergency and temporary legislation affecting this section, click this link: Permanent Version.*
*NOTE: This section includes amendments by emergency legislation that will expire on October 22, 2021. To view the text of this section after the expiration of all emergency and temporary legislation, click this link: Permanent Version.*
Before meeting in open or closed session, a public body shall provide advance public notice as follows:
(1) Notice shall be provided when meetings are scheduled and when the schedule is changed. A public body shall establish an annual schedule of its meetings, if feasible, and shall update the schedule throughout the year. Except for emergency meetings, a public body shall provide notice as early as possible, but not less than 48 hours or 2 business days, whichever is greater, before a meeting.
(2) Notice shall be provided by posting:
(A) In the office of the public body or a location that is readily accessible to the public; and
(B) On the website of the public body or the District government.
(3) Notwithstanding the notice requirement of paragraph (2) of this subsection, except for meetings of boards of trustees for public charter schools, notice of meetings shall be published in the District of Columbia Register as timely as practicable.
(4) When a public body finds it necessary to call an emergency meeting to address an urgent matter, notice shall be provided at the same time notice is provided to members and may be provided pursuant to any method in paragraph (2) of this subsection.
(5) Each meeting notice shall include the date, time, location, and planned agenda to be covered at the meeting. If the meeting or any portion of the meeting is to be closed, the notice shall include, if feasible, a statement of intent to close the meeting or any portion of the meeting, including citations to the reason for closure under § 2-575(b), and a description of the matters to be discussed.
(6) The public posting requirements of paragraph (2)(A) of this section shall not apply during the period from March 11, 2020, through November 5, 2021.
(Oct. 21, 1968, Pub. L. 90-614, title IV, § 406; as added Mar. 31, 2011, D.C. Law 18-350, § 2, 58 DCR 734; Dec. 3, 2020, D.C. Law 23-149, § 4057(c), 67 DCR 10493; June 24, 2021, D.C. Law 24-9, § 809(b), 68 DCR 004824; July 24, 2021, D.C. Act 24-125, § 3(ee)(2), 68 DCR 007342.)
For temporary (90 days) amendment of this section, see § 3(ee)(2) of Public Emergency Extension and Eviction and Utility Moratorium Phasing Emergency Amendment Act of 2021 (D.C. Act 24-125, July 24, 2021, 68 DCR 007342).