For the purposes of this subchapter, the term:
(1) "Advanced life support" means endotracheal intubation, defibrillation, or administration of cardiopulmonary resuscitation medications.
(2) "Advanced practice nurse" means a licensed registered nurse engaged in the practice of advanced practice registered nursing, as defined in § 3-1201.02(2).
(4) "Authorized health care professional" means a licensed physician or advanced practice nurse who has responsibility for the medical care of a patient.
(5) "Cardiopulmonary resuscitation" means chest compression or artificial ventilation.
(6) "DOH" means the Department of Health.
(7) "Emergency medical service" or "EMS" means a medical service provided in response to a person's need for immediate medical care and is intended to prevent loss of life, the aggravation of a physiological illness or injury, or the aggravation of a psychological illness. The term "emergency medical service" or "EMS" includes any service recognized in the District as first response, basic life support, advanced life support, specialized life support, patient transportation, medical control, or rescue.
(8) "EMS agency" means a government department or agency, person, firm, corporation, or organization authorized to provide emergency medical service.
(9) "EMS personnel" means an emergency medical responder, emergency medical technician, emergency medical technician/intermediate, advanced emergency medical technician, or paramedic who is certified to provide emergency medical services in the District.
(10) "Health care institution" means a hospital, maternity center, nursing home, community residence facility, group home for persons with intellectual disabilities, hospice, home care agency, ambulatory surgical facility, or renal dialysis facility, as those terms are defined in § 44-501, or an acute care hospital, skilled nursing facility, or long term care facility.
(11) "Health care professional" means a person who has graduated from an accredited program for physicians, registered nurses, advanced practice nurses, physician assistants, clinical social workers, clinical psychologists, or professional counselors, and is licensed to practice in the District.
(12) "Incapacitated individual" shall have the same meaning as provided in § 21-2202(5).
(13) "Minor" means a person who is less than 18 years of age.
(14) "Medical Orders for Scope of Treatment Form" or "MOST Form" means a set of portable, medical orders on a form issued by DOH that results from a patient's or a patient's authorized representative's informed decision-making with a health care professional.
(15) "Patient" means a person who has been determined by an authorized health care professional to be approaching the end stage of a serious, life-limiting illness or frailty such that the person's life expectancy is 12 months or less.
(16) "Resuscitate" means the administration of cardiopulmonary resuscitation or advanced life support.
Applicability of D.C. Law 21-72: Section 4 of D.C. Law 21-72 provided (a) that the act shall apply upon the date of inclusion of its fiscal effect in an approved budget and financial plan; (b) that the Chief Financial Officer shall certify the date of the inclusion of the fiscal effect in an approved budget and financial plan, and provide notice to the Budget Director of the Council of the certification; and (c) that the Budget Director shall cause the notice of the certification to be published in the District of Columbia Register and that the date of publication of the notice of the certification shall not affect the applicability of the act.