For the purposes of this chapter, the term:
(1) "Client" means any noncitizen of the United States or any person seeking to sponsor a noncitizen for whom an immigration service provider performs or offers to perform an immigration service.
(2) "Immigration matter" means any legal proceeding, filing, or action that pertains to the immigration or citizenship status of a client or consumer and arises under any federal immigration law, presidential order, federal executive agency action, or proclamation by a foreign country.
(3) "Immigration service" means any service relating to an immigration matter.
(4) "Immigration service provider" means a person who provides an immigration service to a client for a fee. The term "immigration service provider" does not include:
(A) An attorney licensed to practice law in the United States;
(B) A legal clinic affiliated with an accredited law school in the District of Columbia;
(C) An individual authorized to represent individuals in immigration matters under 8 C.F.R. § 292.1; or
(D) A nonprofit organization that has been recognized under 8 C.F.R. § 292.2.
(5) "Legal representation" means the legal representation of a client, which includes providing forms to a client, completing or filing forms on behalf of a client, advising a client to file forms, or applying for a benefit on behalf of a client.