(a) The Mayor shall file an entity filing delivered to the Mayor for filing which satisfies this title. The duty of the Mayor under this section is ministerial.
(b) When the Mayor files an entity filing, the Mayor shall record it as filed on the date and at the time of its delivery. After filing an entity filing, the Mayor shall deliver to the person that submitted the filing a copy of the filing with an acknowledgment of the date and time of filing.
(c) If the Mayor refuses to file an entity filing, the Mayor shall return the entity filing or notify the person that submitted the filing not later than 15 business days after the filing is delivered, together with a brief explanation in a record of the reason for the refusal. If an entity files a corrected entity filing within 60 days of the date the document was initially rejected for filing, it shall not be required to pay a filing fee. If the entity files a corrected entity filing after that date, it shall be required to pay the applicable filing fee.
(d) If the Mayor refuses to file an entity filing, the person that submitted the filing may seek review of the refusal by the Superior Court under the following procedures:
(1) The review proceeding shall be commenced by petitioning the court to compel filing of the filing and by attaching to the petition the filing and the explanation of the Mayor of the refusal to file.
(2) The court may summarily order the Mayor to file the filing or take other action the court considers appropriate.
(3) The final decision of the court may be appealed as in other civil proceedings.
(e) The filing of or refusal to file an entity filing shall not:
(1) Affect the validity or invalidity of the filing in whole or in part;
(2) Affect the correctness or incorrectness of information contained in the filing; or
(3) Create a presumption that the filing is valid or invalid or that information contained in the filing is correct or incorrect.
This section is referenced in § 29-102.03.
Effect of Amendments
The 2013 amendment by D.C. Law 19-210 substituted “this title” for “§ 29-102.01” in (a); and in (b) substituted “at the time” for “time” and “person that submitted the filing” for “domestic or foreign entity or its representative”.
Application of Law 19-210: Section 7 of D.C. Law 19-210 provided that the act shall apply as of January 1, 2012.