(a) Unless an unincorporated nonprofit association’s governing principles provide otherwise:
(1) Approval of a matter by the members shall require an affirmative majority of the votes cast at a meeting of members; and
(2) Each member shall be entitled to one vote on each matter that is submitted for approval by members.
(b) The governing principles may provide for the:
(1) Calling, location, and timing of member meetings;
(2) Notice and quorum requirements for member meetings;
(3) Conduct of member meetings;
(4) Taking of action by the members by consent without a meeting or casting ballots; and
(5) Participation by members in a member meeting by telephone or other means of electronic communication.
(c) If the governing principles do not provide for a matter described in subsection (b) of this section, customary usages and principles of parliamentary law and procedure apply.
Effect of Amendments
The 2013 amendment by D.C. Law 19-210 substituted “Procedural requirements for member meetings” for “Member Meeting, voting and notice requirements” in the section heading; substituted “the members” for “members” in (a)(1); rewrote (b); and added (c).
Uniform Law: This section is based on § 17 of the Uniform Unincorporated Nonprofit Association Act (2008 Act).
Application of Law 19-210: Section 7 of D.C. Law 19-210 provided that the act shall apply as of January 1, 2012.