(a) A person becomes a general partner:
(1) Upon formation of a limited partnership, as agreed among the persons that are to be the initial partners; and
(2) After formation:
(A) As provided in the partnership agreement;
(B) Under § 29-708.01(3)(B) following the dissociation of a limited partnership’s last general partner;
(C) As the result of a merger under subchapter X of this chapter or a transaction under Chapter 2 of this title; or
(D) With the consent of all the partners.
(3) As the result of a merger under subchapter X of this chapter or a transaction under Chapter 2 of this title; or
(4) With the consent of all the partners.
(b) A person may become a general partner without:
(1) Acquiring a transferable interest; or
(2) Making or being obligated to make a contribution to the partnership.
This section is referenced in § 29-701.02.
Effect of Amendments
The 2013 amendment by D.C. Law 19-210 added the (a) designation; rewrote (a)(1) and (a)(2); and added (b).
Uniform Law: This section is based on § 401 of the Uniform Limited Partnership Act (2001 Act).
Application of Law 19-210: Section 7 of D.C. Law 19-210 provided that the act shall apply as of January 1, 2012.