(a) Except as provided in this section, a health insurer that provides individual health insurance coverage shall renew or continue in force such coverage at the option of the individual.
(b) A health insurer may nonrenew or discontinue health insurance coverage of an individual in the individual market based on one or more of the following:
(1) The individual has failed to pay premiums or contributions in accordance with the terms of the health insurance coverage or the issuer has not received timely premium payments;
(2) The individual has performed an act or practice that constitutes fraud or made an intentional misrepresentation of material fact under the terms of the coverage;
(3) The insurer is ceasing to offer coverage in the individual market in accordance with this chapter;
(4) In the case of a health insurer that offers health insurance coverage in the individual market through a network plan, the individual no longer resides, lives, or works in the service area, or in an area for which the health insurer is authorized to do business, but only if such coverage is terminated under this section uniformly without regard to any health status-related factor of covered individuals; or
(5) In the case of health insurance coverage that is made available in the individual market only through one or more bona fide associations, the membership of the individual in the association (on the basis of which the coverage is provided) ceases, but only if such coverage is terminated under this section uniformly without regard to any health status-related factor of covered individuals.
(c) Requirements for uniform termination of coverage. —
(1) Discontinuance of a particular type of health insurance coverage.
Discontinuance of a particular type of health insurance coverage.
In any case in which a health insurer decides to discontinue offering a particular type of health insurance coverage offered in the individual market, coverage of such type may be discontinued by the health insurer only if:
(i) The health insurer provides notice to each covered individual provided coverage of this type in such market of such discontinuation at least 90 days prior to the date of the discontinuation of such coverage;
(ii) The health insurer offers to each individual in the individual market provided coverage of this type the option to purchase any other individual health insurance coverage currently being marketed by the health insurer for individuals in such market; and
(iii) In exercising the option to discontinue coverage of this type, and in offering the option of coverage under this subsection, the health insurer acts uniformly without regard to any health status-related factor of enrolled individuals or individuals who may become eligible for such coverage.
(2) Discontinuance of all coverage.
Discontinuance of all coverage.
(A) Subject to paragraph (1)(iii) of this subsection, in any case in which a health insurer elects to discontinue offering all health insurance coverage in the individual market in the District of Columbia, health insurance coverage may be discontinued by the health insurer only if:
(i) The health insurer provides notice to the Commissioner and to each individual of such discontinuation at least 180 days prior to the date of the expiration of such coverage, and
(ii) All health insurance issued or delivered for issuance in the District of Columbia in such market is discontinued and coverage under such health insurance coverage in such market is not renewed.
(B) In the case of discontinuation under paragraph (1) of this subsection in the individual market, the health insurer may not provide for the issuance of any health insurance coverage in the individual market in the District of Columbia during the 5-year period beginning on the date of the discontinuation of the last health insurance coverage not so renewed.
(d) At the time of coverage renewal, a health insurer may modify the health insurance coverage for a policy form offered to individuals in the individual market so long as such modification is consistent with the laws of the District of Columbia and effective on a uniform basis among all individuals with that policy form.
(e) In applying this section in the case of health insurance coverage that is made available by health insurers in the individual market to individuals only through one or more associations, a reference to an “individual” is deemed to include a reference to such an association of which the individual is a member.
1981 Ed., § 35-1026.
This section is referenced in § 31-3301.01.
See notes to § 31-3301.01.
See Historical and Statutory Notes following § 31-3301.01.