(a) There is established an Educational Stepladder program. The Educational Stepladder program shall provide funding for undertrained and unemployed District residents to enroll in certain certificate courses that are, in consultation with the Department of Employment Services (“DOES”):
(1) Offered by institutions of higher education accredited by the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and located in the District of Columbia; and
(2) Approved by the Workforce Investment Council (“Council”), established by § 32-1603.
(b) An institution of higher education described in subsection(a)(1) of this section that seeks to become a participant in the Educational Stepladder program is encouraged to enter into discussions with business and industry leaders to ascertain what workforce skills and knowledge are in demand so that the institution can design its course offerings to meet actual workforce needs in the District. The Council shall approve only courses that are:
(1) Tailored to the needs of the job market in the District;
(2) Designed to provide the student with marketable knowledge or a marketable skill;
(3) A maximum of 12 months in duration; and
(4) Student aid or grant eligible.
Effect of Amendments
D.C. Law 16-191, in subsecs. (a)(2) and (b), substituted “Council” for “Board”.
For temporary (90 day) educational stepladder, see §§ 2 to 7 of Educational Stepladder Emergency Act of 2001 (D.C. Act 14-220, December 21, 2001, 49 DCR 400).
For temporary (90 day) educational stepladder, see §§ 2 to 7 of Educational Stepladder Congressional Review Emergency Amendment Act of 2002 (D.C. Act 14-303, March 25, 2002, 49 DCR 3395).
For temporary (90 day) addition, see § 1152 of Fiscal Year 2005 Budget Support Emergency Act of 2004 (D.C. Act 15-486, August 2, 2004, 51 DCR 8236).
For temporary (90 day) addition, see § 1152 of Fiscal Year 2005 Budget Support Congressional Review Emergency Act of 2004 (D.C. Act 15-594, October 26, 2004, 51 DCR 11725).
For temporary (225 day) additions, see §§ 2 to 7 of Educational Stepladder Temporary Act of 2002 (D.C. Law 14-111, April 13, 2002, law notification 49 DCR 4059).
Short title of subtitle N of title I of Law 15-205: Section 1151 of D.C. Law 15-205 provided that subtitle N of title I of the act may be cited as the Educational Stepladder Act of 2004.