(a) The purpose of the DCSAA is to provide leadership and support for interscholastic athletics programs in the District.
(b) The mission of the DCSAA is to:
(1) Ensure that interscholastic athletics programs are compatible with the educational mission of member schools;
(2) Provide for fair competition between member schools;
(3) Promote sportsmanship and ethical behavior for participants, coaches, administrators, officials, and spectators;
(4) Promote gender equity and equal access to athletic opportunity; and
(5) Protect the physical well-being of participants and promote healthy adolescent lifestyles.
(c) The DCSAA shall:
(1) Support the duties of the Commission;
(2) Set and enforce membership standards; provided, that such standards shall be consistent with existing District laws and regulations;
(3) Certify member schools' coaches and event officials;
(4) Possess exclusive jurisdiction over the implementation and enforcement of the Mayor's rules and regulations governing the conduct of interscholastic athletics programs, including regulations related to participant eligibility; provided, that nothing in this subparagraph shall be construed as limiting or affecting the power of the Commission to issue a final decision on an appeal to an appeals panel;
(5) Ensure member school compliance with applicable District laws and regulations related to participant health and safety;
(6) Develop and offer training guidance on the health, safety, and wellness of participants pursuant to national best practices;
(7) Sanction competitions and establish seasons for DCSAA-sponsored sports;
(8) Enforce Chapter 8C of this title;
(9) Annually publish and distribute a handbook containing the playing rules, codes of conduct, sanctions, and guidelines for every DCSAA-sponsored sport; provided, that except as otherwise approved by the Commission, the DCSAA handbook shall incorporate the playing rules, codes of conduct, sanctions, and guidelines contained in the National Federation of State High School Associations' ("NFHS") Rules Books;
(10) Except as otherwise provided by law or regulation, hear and decide complaints as authorized in § 38-2661.26
(11) Administer the State Athletic Activities, Programs, and Office Fund established by § 38-2672; and
(12) Take actions consistent with the responsibilities outlined in this subsection, DCSAA's mission, and governing laws and regulations.
Applicability of D.C. Law 21-263: § 301 of D.C. Law 21-263 provided that the creation of this section by § 108 of D.C. Law 21-263 is subject to the inclusion of the law’s fiscal effect in an approved budget and financial plan. Therefore that amendment has not been implemented.