(a) Within 30 days of July 18, 2008, the Mayor shall submit to the Council for its approval, a plan, including the name of a proposed independent evaluator, to evaluate pre-k programs in accordance with this section. Within 60 days of Council approval, the Mayor shall execute a contract with the approved evaluator.
(b) The approved evaluator shall perform a baseline quality assessment for a sampling of pre-k classrooms in each of the following sectors:
(1) District of Columbia Public Schools;
(2) Public charter schools; and
(c) The evaluator shall collect baseline quality data to:
(1) Describe the overall program structure;
(2) Assess the language and literacy environment; and
(3) Assess the quality of instructional support, classroom climate, and classroom management.
(d) The evaluator’s data and analysis shall be used to:
(1) Provide an assessment of the level of quality of all sectors; and
(2) Serve as baseline data from which to develop benchmarks for ongoing quality assessment of the pre-k-education system.
(e) The Mayor shall submit to the Council by December 30 of each year, beginning in 2009, projected benchmarks by which to measure annual achievements within the pre-k-education system.
This section is referenced in § 38-271.05.
Section 4150 of D.C. Law 22-33 provided that the amendment made to this section shall apply as of June 27, 2017.