(a) In the event of a resale of a condominium unit by a unit owner other than the declarant, the unit owner shall obtain from the unit owners’ association and furnish to the purchaser, on or prior to the 10th business day following the date of execution of the contract of sale by the purchaser, a copy of the condominium instruments and a certificate setting forth the following:
(2) A statement of any capital expenditures approved by the unit owners’ association planned at the time of the conveyance that are not reflected in the current operating budget disclosed under paragraph (4) of this subsection;
(3) A statement of the status and amount of any reserves for capital expenditures, contingencies, and improvements, and any portion of such reserves earmarked for any specified project by the executive board;
(4) A copy of the statement of financial condition for the unit owners’ association for the then most recent fiscal year for which such statement is available and the current operating budget, if any;
(5) A statement of the status of any pending suits or any judgments to which the unit owners’ association is a party;
(6) A statement setting forth what insurance coverage is provided for all unit owners by the unit owners’ association and a statement whether such coverage includes public liability, loss or damage, or fire and extended coverage insurance with respect to the unit and its contents;
(7) A statement that any improvements or alterations made to the unit, or the limited common elements assigned thereto, by the prior unit owner are not in violation of the condominium instruments;
(8) A statement of the remaining term of any leasehold estate affecting the condominium or the condominium unit and the provisions governing any extension or renewal thereof; and
(9) The date of issuance of the certificate.
(a-1)(1) If the condominium instruments and certificate prescribed pursuant to subsection (a) of this section are not furnished to the purchaser on or prior to the 10th business day following the date of execution of the contract of sale by the purchaser, the purchaser shall have the right to cancel the contract by giving notice in writing to the seller prior to receipt of the condominium instruments and certificate, but not after conveyance under the contract.
(2) Except as provided pursuant to paragraph (5) of this subsection, the purchaser shall have the right for a period of 3-business days following the purchaser’s receipt of the condominium instruments and certificate prescribed pursuant to subsection (a) of this section, whether or not such receipt occurs within the time period described in subsection (a) of this section, to cancel the contract by giving notice in writing and returning the condominium instruments and certificate to the seller, provided that the purchaser may not so cancel the contract after conveyance under the contract.
(3) If the purchaser cancels the contract pursuant to paragraph (1) or (2) of this subsection, the purchaser shall receive back any earnest money or other deposit without delay or deduction.
(4) From and after the earlier of (i) the expiration of the 3-business-day period for review prescribed pursuant to paragraph (2) of this subsection, or an extension of the 3-business-day period agreed to by the parties in a signed writing, or (ii) conveyance under the contract, if the purchaser has not exercised the right to cancel, the contract shall not be cancellable by the purchaser under this subsection.
(5) If the condominium instruments and certificate are furnished to the purchaser on or prior to execution of the contract of sale by the purchaser, the 3 business-day period for review prescribed pursuant to paragraph (2) of this subsection shall commence when the contract is executed by the purchaser.
(b) The principal officer of the unit owners’ association or such other officer or officers as the condominium instruments may specify, shall furnish the certificate prescribed by subsection (a) of this section upon the written request of any unit owner or purchaser within 10 days of the receipt of such request.
(c) Subject to the provisions of § 42-1904.01, but notwithstanding any other provisions of this chapter, the provisions and requirements of this section shall apply to any such resale of a condominium unit created under the provisions of Chapter 20 of this title.
(Mar. 29, 1977, D.C. Law 1-89, title IV, § 411, 23 DCR 9532b; Mar. 8, 1991, D.C. Law 8-233, § 2(uu), 38 DCR 261; Mar. 20, 1992, D.C. Law 9-82, § 2(o), 39 DCR 683; June 21, 2014, D.C. Law 20-109, § 2(p), 61 DCR 4304.)
1981 Ed., § 45-1871.
1973 Ed., § 5-1271.
Effect of Amendments
The 2014 amendment by D.C. Law 20-109 rewrote (a)(2).
Application of this chapter, prior law superseded, see § 42-1901.01.
For temporary (225 day) amendment of section, see § 2(m) of Condominium Act of 1976 Technical and Clarifying Temporary Amendment Act of 1991 (D.C. Law 9-38, August 17, 1991, law notification 38 DCR 5805).