(a)(1) Each dispenser shall submit to the Program the required reporting information for each prescription dispensed for a covered substance within 24 hours after the covered substance is dispensed, unless otherwise established by the Director through rulemaking, but this does not include merely placing the covered substance prescription into a bin for pickup by the ultimate user or his or her agent.
(2) Any dispenser located outside the boundaries of the District that is licensed or registered by the District, shall submit the required reporting information to the Program for each prescription dispensed for a covered substance to an ultimate user who resides within the District within 24 hours after the date that the covered substance is dispensed, unless otherwise established by the Director through rulemaking.
(b) The failure of any person subject to the reporting requirements of this chapter to report the dispensing of a covered substance, unless otherwise exempted under this chapter, or the willful failure to transmit accurate information shall constitute grounds for:
(1) The revocation, suspension, or denial of a District controlled substances registration;
(2) Disciplinary action by the relevant health occupations board pursuant to § 3-1205.14(c); and
(3) The imposition of civil fines pursuant to § 2-1801.04.
(c) Upon dispensing a covered substance, the dispenser of the covered substance shall report the following information to the Program:
(1) Patient name;
(2) Patient address;
(3) Patient date of birth;
(4) Patient gender;
(5) Dispenser identification number;
(6) Prescriber identification number;
(7) Date prescription was issued by prescriber;
(8) Date prescription was dispensed;
(9) Prescription number;
(10) Prescription type, whether the prescription is new or is a refill;
(11) National Drug Code for the drug dispensed;
(12) Quantity dispensed;
(13) Number of days’ supply dispensed;
(14) Number of refills ordered;
(15) Source of payment for the prescription; and
(16) Any other required information as specified in the regulations promulgated by the Director to implement this chapter, or as required for the Program to be eligible to receive federal funds.
(d) Each dispenser shall transmit the required reporting information in accordance with the manner, format, standards, and schedules established by the Director through rulemaking.
(e) The reporting requirements of this chapter shall not apply to the dispensing of covered substances when the dispensing is limited to the following:
(1) Administering covered substances;
(2) Dispensing covered substances within an appropriately licensed narcotic maintenance program;
(3) Dispensing covered substances to inpatients in hospitals or nursing facilities licensed by the Department or facilities that are otherwise authorized by law to operate as hospitals or nursing homes in the District;
(4) Dispensing covered substances to inpatients in hospices licensed by the Department; or
(5) Dispensing covered substances as otherwise provided in the Department’s regulations.