The Department shall have the power to:
(1) Plan, develop, operate, control, and regulate the DC Streetcar, including establishing fares, charges, tickets, fines, and routes and schedules;
(2) Sell space on and within DC Streetcar vehicles or other assets for the display of advertisements and enter into agreements with entities to sell space on vehicles or other assets in return for a fee, or as a gift or donation of services approved by the Mayor;
(3) Enter into contracts with third parties for the design, construction, operation, and maintenance of the DC Streetcar;
(4) Concurrent with any other agency’s authority to do so, enforce violations of this subchapter and regulations promulgated thereunder, with respect to fare payment; and
(5) Enter into agreements to allow the private sponsorship of vehicles, equipment, and facilities used in the DC Streetcar program, and the placement of a corporate logo, slogan, or other indicia of sponsorship on the vehicles, equipment, or facilities, and on related websites and social media; provided, that a proposed private sponsorship agreement entered into pursuant to this paragraph shall be submitted, before execution, to the Council for a 45-day period of review, excluding Saturdays, Sundays, legal holidays, and days of Council recess. The agreement submitted to the Council shall include detailed information about the proposed private sponsorship agreement, including, if the agreement contemplates the placement of a corporate logo, slogan, or other indicia of sponsorship on the vehicles, equipment, or facilities, or websites or social media, a drawing depicting how the vehicles, equipment, or facilities, or websites or social media, will appear. If the Council does not approve or disapprove the proposed private sponsorship agreement by resolution within the 45-day review period, the proposed private sponsorship agreement shall be deemed approved.
(May 21, 2002, D.C. Law 14-137, § 11n; as added Apr. 20, 2013, D.C. Law 19-268, § 3, 60 DCR 1709; Feb. 26, 2015, D.C. Law 20-155, § 6032(b), 61 DCR 9990; Oct. 22, 2015, D.C. Law 21-36, § 6022, 62 DCR 10905; Dec. 13, 2017, D.C. Law 22-33, § 6072(c), 64 DCR 7652.)
This section is referenced in § 50-921.73.
Effect of Amendments
The 2013 amendment by D.C. Law 19-268 added this section.
The 2015 amendment by D.C. Law 20-155 added (3) and made related changes.
The 2015 amendment by D.C. Law 21-36 added the subdivision designated herein as (4) and made related changes.
For temporary (90 days) amendment of this section, see § 6042(b) of the Fiscal Year 2015 Budget Support Emergency Act of 2014 (D.C. Act 20-377, July 14, 2014, 61 DCR 7598, 20 STAT 3696).
For temporary (90 days) amendment of this section, see § 6032(b) of the Fiscal Year 2015 Budget Support Second Congressional Review Emergency Act of 2014 (D.C. Act 20-566, January 9, 2015, 62 DCR 884, 21 STAT 541).
For temporary (90 days) amendment of this section, see § 6022 of the Fiscal Year 2016 Budget Support Emergency Act of 2015 (D.C. Act 21-127, July 27, 2015, 62 DCR 10201).
Section 5 of D.C. Law 19-268 provided that this subchapter shall expire as of September 30, 2015.