For the purposes of this chapter, the term:
(1) “District” means the District of Columbia.
(2) “Elderly” means any person who is 60 years of age or older.
(3) “Person with a disability” means any person who has a medically determined physical impairment, including blindness, which prohibits and incapacitates 75% of that person’s ability to move about, to assist himself or herself, or to engage in an occupation.
(4) “Locally assisted housing accommodation for elderly persons or persons with disabilities” means any building that contains 4 or more rental units, receives District housing assistance, and is designated for elderly tenants or tenants with disabilities. The term “locally assisted housing accommodation for elderly persons or persons with disabilities” shall not include facilities receiving other types of District assistance and licensed under § 44-501 et seq.
(5) “Common household pet” means a domesticated animal, such as a dog, cat, bird, rodent, fish, or turtle, that is traditionally kept in the home for pleasure rather than for commercial purposes. The term “common household pet” shall not include reptiles, other than turtles.
2001 Ed., § 8-2201.
1981 Ed., § 6-1021.
Effect of Amendments
D.C. Law 16-305, in par. (3), substituted “Person with a disability” for “Handicapped”; and, in par. (4), substituted “elderly persons or persons with disabilities” for “the elderly or handicapped” and “tenants or tenants with disabilities” for “or handicapped tenants”.
Delegation of Authority
Delegation of authority pursuant to D.C. Law 7-181, the Pet Ownership Nonrestriction Act of 1988, see Mayor’s Order 90-45, March 5, 1990.