§ 34–1831. Pay telephone service providers.
(a) The Public Service Commission shall have the power and authority to prescribe rules and regulations for the operation, maintenance, and location of outdoor pay telephones in the District of Columbia.
(b) The Commission shall, by rules or regulations, establish standards:
(1) To certify a pay telephone service provider seeking to provide pay telephone services in the District of Columbia;
(2) For the registration, renewal of a registration for a pay telephone, and transfer of ownership of a registered pay telephone;
(3) For the installation and removal of a pay telephone;
(4) To investigate a consumer complaint regarding pay telephone service; and
(5) to establish operating requirements for all outdoor pay telephones.
(c) The Commission shall by regulation or order prescribe procedures for reviewing any complaint relating to pay telephone services in the District of Columbia. The regulation or order shall include provisions for a formal hearing, decision, and appeal arising from any complaint.
(d)(1) In weighing evidence regarding whether a pay telephone constitutes a public nuisance, the Public Service Commission shall give great weight to the:
(A) Written recommendation of the Advisory Neighborhood Commission in which the pay telephone is located or proposed to be located; and
(B) Written statement or testimony of a member of the Metropolitan Police Department.
(2) For the purpose of this section only, great weight means that, unless there is a compelling reason to do otherwise, the Public Service Commission shall defer to the opinion of the Metropolitan Police Department or Advisory Neighborhood Commission.
Electric light and power companies, special acts, generally, see § 34-1401 et seq.
Mayor, council and other officers, police power regulations, see § 1-303.03.
Public roads and bridges, jurisdiction in mayor, see § 9-101.02.
For temporary (90 day) addition, see § 201 of Omnibus Utility Emergency Amendment Act of 2005 (D.C. Act 16-12, January 28, 2005, 52 DCR 2945).