To establish a Mobile Customer Service Center Program and to require the Department of Motor Vehicles to acquire and operate at least one motor vehicle as a mobile customer service center, develop and publish a schedule for the operation of mobile customer service centers, and submit a report analyzing the use of mobile customer service centers, including recommendations about how to improve the Mobile Customer Service Center Program.
BE IT ENACTED BY THE COUNCIL OF THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, That this act may be cited as the "Mobile DMV Act of 2017".
New § 50-915
Note § 50-915
Sec. 2. Mobile Customer Service Center Program.
(a) There is established a Mobile Customer Service Center Program ("Program"), which shall be administered by the Department of Motor Vehicles ("DMV") in accordance with this section.
(b) By July 1, 2018, the DMV shall operate at least one motor vehicle, furnished with the equipment necessary to use the motor vehicle as a mobile customer service center that provides, at a minimum, the following services:
(1) Titling and registering motor vehicles;
(2) Issuing or renewing special tags and permits;
(3) Issuing or renewing operator's permits, learner's permits, provisional motor vehicle operator's permits, federally-accepted driver's licenses or special identification cards, and limited purpose driver's licenses, permits, and identification cards;
(4) Registering voters; and
(5) Allowing individuals to pay fines, penalties, and fees for infractions adjudicated under
(c) Services rendered pursuant to this section shall be paid for by check or credit card.
(d) Each mobile customer service center shall operate, at a minimum, between the hours of 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding legal holidays; provided, that the Director of DMV may reduce the hours of operation of a mobile customer service center to account for:
(1) Mechanical issues impeding the operation of a mobile customer service center; and
(2) The closure of the District government or the DMV due to an emergency, an administrative closure, or any other similar closure.
(e) By July 1, 2018, and on a regular basis thereafter, the DMV shall publish on its website a schedule listing the daily locations of each mobile customer service center. The DMV shall also publish on its website the name and telephone number of a knowledgeable employee who can provide additional information about the operation and schedule of the mobile customer service centers.
(f) By December 1, 2018, DMV shall submit to the Council, and make publically available, a report analyzing the use of the mobile customer service centers, including the number and type of transactions conducted at each mobile customer service center on a monthly basis. The report shall recommend:
(1) How to increase access to, or increase the number of, mobile customer service centers in the District; and
(2) Additional locations where mobile customer service centers should be deployed.
(g) The Mayor, pursuant to
Note § 50-915
Sec. 3. Applicability.
(a) Section 2 shall apply upon the date of inclusion of its fiscal effect in an approved budget and financial plan.
(b) The Chief Financial Officer shall certify the date of the inclusion of the fiscal effect in an approved budget and financial plan, and provide notice to the Budget Director of the Council of the certification.
(c)(1) The Budget Director shall cause the notice of the certification to be published in the District of Columbia Register.
(2) The date of publication of the notice of the certification shall not affect the applicability of this act.
Sec. 4. Fiscal impact statement.
The Council adopts the fiscal impact statement in the committee report as the fiscal impact statement required by section 4a of the General Legislative Procedures Act of 1975, approved October 16, 2006 (120 Stat. 2038; D.C. Official Code § 1-301.47a).
Sec. 5. Effective date.
This act shall take effect following approval by the Mayor (or in the event of veto by the Mayor, action by the Council to override the veto), a 30-day period of congressional review as provided in section 602(c)(1) of the District of Columbia Home Rule Act, approved December 24, 1973 (87 Stat. 813; D.C. Official Code § 1-206.02(c)(1)), and publication in the District of Columbia Register.