§ 2–381.52. Expanding access to WIC.
(a) Beginning January 1, 2019, the Mayor, in authorizing vendors to participate in WIC, shall not:
(1) Require vendors to maintain a minimum square footage of store space beyond that required by the U.S. Department of Agriculture;
(2) Require vendors to maintain a minimum number of cashiers beyond that required by the U.S. Department of Agriculture; or
(3) Prohibit vendors from selling organic products that are permitted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
(b) Within one year after October 1, 2019, the Mayor, or a contractor selected by the Mayor, shall submit a report to the Council that includes:
(1) An assessment of the use of WIC funds from Fiscal Year 2013 through Fiscal Year 2018, including a notation as to whether the District returned federal funds for WIC and whether the District applied for supplemental federal funds for WIC during that time; and
(2) A plan to increase the number of small stores serving as vendors, including an identification of small store technical assistance requirements, outreach strategies, and any legislative or regulatory barriers preventing small stores from becoming vendors.
(c) The Department, in coordination with the Department of Health Care Finance and the Department of Human Services, shall identify children between birth and 5 years of age who are enrolled in either Medicaid or SNAP, but not WIC, and provide guidance to the parents or caregivers of such children regarding the WIC application process.
(d) The Department of Health shall provide technical assistance to small stores to assist them in meeting the District's requirements for registration as vendors.
(e) Within one year after October 1, 2019, and on an annual basis thereafter, the Department shall host 4 community meetings open to the public to receive input on strategies to increase participation in WIC and improve the experience of individuals enrolled in WIC. The Department shall notify the public about each meeting on its website at least one month before the meeting is held.