§ 20–906. Order of payment.
(a) If the applicable assets of the estate are insufficient to pay all claims in full, the personal representative shall make payment in the following order:
(1) Court costs, publication costs, and bond premiums;
(2) Funeral expenses, not exceeding $1,500;
(3) Fiduciary and attorney’s fees, not exceeding $1,000;
(4) The homestead allowance pursuant to section 19-101.02 and the family allowance pursuant to section 19-101.04;
(5) Exempt property pursuant to section 19-101.03;
(6) Reasonable and necessary medical and hospital expenses of the last illness of the decedent, including compensation of persons attending the decedent;
(7) Claims for rent in arrears for which an attachment might be levied by law;
(8) Judgment and decrees of courts in the District of Columbia; and
(9) All other just claims.
(b) No preference shall be given in the payment of any claim over any other claim of the same class, and a claim due and payable shall not be entitled to preference over claims not due.