§ 3–1209.08. Personal fitness trainer.
(a) For the purposes of this section, the term “personal fitness trainer” means a person who develops and implements an individualized approach to exercise, including personal training and instruction in physical fitness and conditioning for an individual and a person who performs similar physical fitness training regardless of the designation used.
(b) A person who practices or offers to practice as a personal fitness trainer in the District shall register with the Mayor on forms prescribed by the Mayor, renew the registration at intervals the Mayor may require by rule, and pay the registration fee established by the Mayor.
(c) Nothing in subsection (a) of this section shall be construed as preventing or restricting:
(1) The lawful practice of a licensed health care professional under the scope of his or her license;
(2) Self-training by an individual or the gratuitous personal fitness training services provided by a friend or family member who does not represent himself or herself as a personal fitness trainer;
(3) The lawful practice of an athletic trainer licensed by the Mayor provided, that the person does not represent himself or herself as a personal fitness trainer or provide personal fitness training services; or
(4) Coaches and physical education instructors, health or recreation directors, health club or spa instructors, and water safety instructors who are supervising athletic activities, exercise, aerobics, weightlifting, water safety, and other recreational physical activities; provided, that the person does not represent himself or herself as an athletic trainer or provide personal fitness trainer services;
(5) The activities of a personal fitness training student acting under the direction of a personal fitness trainer registered with the Mayor provided, that the student is designated by a title that clearly indicates his or her affiliation and status as a personal fitness training student.
(d) A person registered with the Mayor pursuant to this chapter as a personal fitness trainer may use the letters “PFT” or “RPFT” in connection with his or her name to denote registration under this chapter, and an unregistered person is prohibited from using such letters in connection with his or her name and business activity, or the words “personal trainer,” “trainer,” “registered personal trainer,” and “certified personal trainer,” or “licensed personal trainer.”
(e) A registered personal trainer may not use the letters “RPT,” or “PT” in connection with his or her name to denote registration under this chapter.
(f) A person holding a valid physical therapy license under this chapter is exempt from the provisions of this section.