§ 3–653. Powers of the Commission.
(a) The Commission shall:
(1) Serve as an advocate for fashion retailers, designers, and beauty businesses in the District;
(2) Advise and make recommendations to the Mayor and the Council concerning needs of the people of the District for fashion-design activities and concerning the development and improvement of fashion and cultural affairs programs in the District;
(3) Stimulate and encourage study and review of the status of fashion arts projects and serve as the clearinghouse for activities aimed at realizing a fashion retail corridor that will serve as a centralized shopping destination featuring local, national, and international fashion designers and boutiques in the District;
(4) Prepare and recommend to the Mayor and the Council an annual plan for fashion arts projects and events in the District; and
(5) Work with District departments and agencies, private organizations, and the fashion-design community to develop and undertake programs which will encourage maximum participation in fashion art and cultural affairs activities and which will promote greater appreciation and enjoyment of the trade.
(b) The Commission may:
(1) Nominate special advisors to serve and provide technical and expert advice on matters relevant to the functions of the Commission; provided, that decision-making shall reside with the Commission;
(2) Form task forces, as required, composed of Commission members, special advisors, and others interested in serving;
(3) Apply for and receive grants to fund its program activities in accordance with procedures relating to grants management and recommend to the Mayor and the Council applications for federal grants-in-aid to projects or productions in fashion design; and
(4) Accept private gifts and donations to carry out the purposes of this chapter.