§ 35–245. Summer Youth Employment Program transit subsidy.
(a)(1) The Mayor shall establish a program ("SYEP Program") to allow participants in the Summer Youth Employment Program ("SYEP") administered by the Mayor pursuant to § 32-242(a)(1) to travel at subsidized or free fares on the Metrorail system, Metrobus system, and public transit services operated by the District government.
(2) The total subsidy provided to an individual pursuant to paragraph (1) of this subsection shall at least equal the cost of a roundtrip regular Metrobus fare for every program day of the SYEP.
(b) To be eligible to participate in the SYEP Program, an SYEP participant:
(1) Must be 24 years of age or younger; and
(c) The Mayor may require each SYEP participant or the SYEP participant's parent or guardian to file an application on the SYEP participant's behalf to participate in the SYEP Program.
(d) The Mayor may impose a fee for the issuance or replacement of a transit card.
(e) The Mayor may:
(1) Establish standards for eligibility to participate in the SYEP Program;
(2) Limit the use of subsidized fares to transportation to and from SYEP employment, internships, and related activities; and
(3) Impose such other restrictions on eligibility and the use of subsidized or free fares that the Mayor deems appropriate for the proper operational and fiscal administration of the SYEP Program.