§ 47–2853.04. Regulated non-health related occupations and professions.
(a) The following non-health related occupations and professions have been determined to require regulation in order to protect public health, safety or welfare, or to assure the public that persons engaged in such occupations or professions have the specialized skills or training required to perform the services offered:
(2) Asbestos Worker;
(4A) Body Artist;
(6) Certified Public Accountant;
(7) Clinical Laboratory Director;
(8) Clinical Laboratory Technician;
(10) Commercial Driver;
(11) Commercial Bicycle Operator;
(12A) Elevator Mechanic;
(12B) Elevator Contractor;
(12C) Elevator Inspector.
(13) Funeral Director;
(14) Insurance Agent;
(15) Insurance Broker;
(16) Interior Designer;
(17) Investment Advisor;
(18) Land Surveyor;
(18A) Landscape Architect;
(19) Notary Public;
(20) Operating Engineer;
(22) Principal (public school);
(23) Private Correctional Officer;
(24) Professional Engineer;
(25) Property Manager;
(26) Real Estate Appraiser;
(27) Real Estate Broker;
(28) Real Estate Salesperson;
(29) Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic;
(30) Securities Agent;
(31) Securities Broker-Dealer;
(32) Security Alarm Agent;
(33) Special Police Officer;
(34) Steam Engineer;
(35) Taxicab/Limousine Operator;
(36) Teacher and Other Instructional Personnel (public schools only); and
(b) No other non-health related occupation or profession shall be regulated other than as set forth in subsection (a) of this section, except where there has been a determination by the Mayor that regulation is needed to protect the public interest and is consistent with the criteria for regulation specified in § 47-2853.02.
(c) All non-health related occupations and professions shall be regulated by the Mayor through the Department of Licensing and Consumer Protection, except as follows:
(1) Attorneys shall be regulated by the District of Columbia Court of Appeals, as provided in § 11-2501.
(2) Notaries public shall be regulated by the Mayor, as provided in [Chapter 12A of Title 1].
(3) Principals, teachers, and other instructional employees of the District of Columbia public schools shall be regulated by the Superintendent of Schools of the District of Columbia as delegated by the Board of Education, pursuant to § 38-105 [repealed], and teachers and instructional employees of the University of the District of Columbia (“University”) by the Board of Trustees of the University pursuant to §§ 38-1202.01 and 38-1202.06 and § 38-1202.11.
(4) Insurance agents and brokers, securities agents and brokers, and investment advisers shall be regulated by the Department of Insurance and Securities Regulation, as provided in subchapter I of Chapter 1 of Title 31, Chapter 36 of Title 3, and Chapter 37 [repealed] of Title 3.
(5) Hackers, taxicab and limousine operators shall be regulated by the Department of For-Hire Vehicles, as provided in § 47-2829.
(7) Special police, security alarm agents and private correctional officers shall be regulated by the Metropolitan Police Department as provided in § 5-129.02; § 7-2805; and subchapter VII of Chapter 2 of Title 24.
(8) Boxers, wrestlers, referees and other officials involved in boxing and wrestling contests shall be regulated by § 3-606(b).
(9) Clinical laboratory directors and clinical laboratory technicians shall be regulated by the Mayor in accordance with Chapter 2 of Title 44.
(10) Veterinarians shall be regulated by the Mayor in accordance with subchapter I of Chapter 5 of Title 3.
(11) Funeral directors shall be regulated by the Mayor in accordance with Chapter 4 of Title 3.