(a) If The Urban Institute leases and occupies a building or a portion of a building that is subject to real property taxation under Chapter 8 of this title, The Urban Institute shall receive a rebate of its proportionate share of the real property tax paid with respect to the building, if:
(1) It is liable under the lease for its proportionate share of the real property tax;
(2) It applies for the rebate of real property tax by September 15 of the calendar year in which the tax was payable as provided under § 47-811; and
(3) The real property tax was paid.
(b) The rebate shall be the amount of the portion of the real property tax that was paid, either directly or indirectly, by The Urban Institute under its lease with the lessor.
(c) The application for the rebate shall include:
(1) A copy of the lease with the lessor; and
(2) Documentation that the tax has been paid.
(d) If a proper application has been made, the Chief Financial Officer shall rebate the tax on or before December 31 of the same calendar year.
(e) The real property tax rebate established by this section shall begin no earlier than January 1, 2015, and shall be effective for a 10-year period. The first year of the 10-year period shall be the year that The Urban Institute occupies a building or a portion of a building that is subject to real property taxation under Chapter 8 of this title pursuant to a signed lease with the lessor of that building or building portion. The amount of the rebate shall not exceed $1 million per tax year.