§ 47–801. Declaration of purpose.
It is the intent of Congress to revise the real property tax in the District of Columbia to achieve the following objectives:
(1) Equitable sharing of the financial burden of the government of the District of Columbia;
(2) Full public information regarding assessments and appeal procedures;
(3) Promotion of economic activity, diversity of land use, and preservation of the character of the District of Columbia;
(4) Assurance that shifts in the tax burden on individual taxpayers will not be excessive; and
(5) Comparability of tax effort between the District of Columbia and surrounding jurisdictions in the metropolitan area and cities of comparable size.