§ 49–1101.03. Definitions.
For the purposes of this chapter, unless the context clearly requires a different construction, the term:
(1) “Active duty” means full-time duty status in the active uniformed service of the United States, including members of the National Guard and Reserve on active duty orders pursuant to 10 U.S.C. §§ 1209 and 1211.
(2) “Children of military families” means school-aged children, enrolled in Kindergarten through 12th grade in the household of an active duty member.
(3) “Compact” means the Interstate Compact on Educational Opportunity for Military Children.
(4) “Compact commissioner” means the voting representative of each compacting state appointed pursuant to § 49-1101.09.
(5) “Deployment” means the period one month before a service member’s departure from the home station on military orders through 6 months after return to the home station.
(6) “Educational records” means those official records, files, and data directly related to a student and maintained by the school or local education agency, including records encompassing all the material kept in the student’s cumulative folder such as general identifying data, records of attendance, records of academic work completed, records of achievement, and results of evaluative tests, health data, disciplinary status, test protocols, and individualized education programs.
(7) “Extracurricular activities” means a voluntary activity sponsored by the school or local education agency or an organization sanctioned by the local education agency. Extracurricular activities include preparation for and involvement in public performances, contests, athletic competitions, demonstrations, displays, and club activities.
(8) “Interstate Commission on Educational Opportunity for Military Children” means the commission that is created in § 49-1101.09, generally referred to as the Interstate Commission.
(9) “Local education agency” means a public authority legally constituted by the state as an administrative agency to provide control of and direction for kindergarten through 12th grade public educational institutions.
(10) “Member state” means a state that has enacted this compact.
(11) “Military installation” means a base, camp, post, station, yard, center, homeport facility for any ship, or other activity under the jurisdiction of the Department of Defense, including any leased facility that is located within any of the several states, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Northern Marianas Islands, and any other U.S. Territory. The term does not include any facility used primarily for civil works, river and harbor projects, or flood-control projects.
(12) “Non-member state” means a state that has not enacted this compact.
(13) “Receiving state” means the state to which a child of a military family is sent, brought, or caused to be sent or brought.
(14) “Rule” means a written statement by the Interstate Commission promulgated pursuant to § 49-1101.12 that is of general applicability and implements, interprets, or prescribes a policy or provision of the compact, or an organizational, procedural, or practice requirement of the Interstate Commission, and has the force and effect of statutory law in a member state, and includes the amendment, repeal, or suspension of an existing rule.
(15) “Sending state” means the state from which a child of a military family is sent, brought, or caused to be sent or brought.
(16) “State” means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, American Samoa, the Northern Marianas Islands, and any other U.S. Territory.
(17) “State Council” means the District of Columbia Educational Opportunity for Military Children State Council established in § 49-1101.20.
(18) “Student” means the child of a military family for whom the local education agency receives public funding and who is formally enrolled in a grade from kindergarten through 12th grade.
(19) “Transition” means:
(A) The formal and physical process of transferring from school to school; or
(B) The period of time in which a student moves from one school in the sending state to another school in the receiving state.
(20) “Uniformed services” means the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard, as well as the Commissioned Corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, and Public Health Services.
(21) “Veteran” means a person who served in the uniformed services and who was discharged or released under conditions other than dishonorable.