The following words and phrases used in this chapter shall, for the purpose of this chapter, have the meanings respectively ascribed to them in this article except in those instances where the context clearly indicates a different meaning:
(1) “Mayor” means the Mayor of the District of Columbia, or his designated agent or agents.
(2) “Driver” or “operator” means every person who drives or is in actual physical control of a motor vehicle upon a public highway or who is exercising control over or steering a vehicle being pushed or towed by a motor vehicle upon a public highway.
(3) “License” means any operator’s permit or any other license or permit to operate a motor vehicle issued under the laws of the District of Columbia including:
(A) Any temporary or learner’s permit;
(B) The privilege of any person to drive a motor vehicle whether or not such person holds a valid license; and
(C) Any nonresident’s operating privilege as defined herein.
(4) Motor vehicle" means every vehicle that is self-propelled and every vehicle that is propelled by electric power obtained from overhead trolley wires, but not operated upon rails. The term "motor vehicle" shall not include personal mobility devices,as the term is defined in § 50-2201.02(13), electric mobility devices, as the term is defined in § 50-2201.02(6A), motorized bicycles, as the term is defined in § 50-2201.02(11A), or a battery-operated wheelchair when operated by a person with a disability.
(5) “Nonresident” means every person who is not a resident of the District of Columbia.
(6) “Nonresident’s operating privilege” means the privilege conferred upon a nonresident by the laws of the District of Columbia pertaining to the operation by such person of a motor vehicle, or the use of a vehicle owned by such person, in the District of Columbia.
(7) “Owner” means a person who holds the legal title of a vehicle, or in the event a vehicle is the subject of an agreement for the conditional sale or lease thereof with the right of purchase upon performance of the conditions stated in the agreement and with an immediate right of possession vested in the conditional vendee or lessee, or in the event a mortgagor of a vehicle is entitled to possession, then such conditional vendee or lessee or mortgagor shall be deemed the owner for the purpose of this chapter.
(8) “Person” means every natural person, firm, copartnership, association, or corporation.
(9) “Public highway” means any street, road, or public thoroughfare.
(10) “Registration” means the registration plates issued under the laws of the District of Columbia pertaining to the registration of vehicles.
(11) “Vehicle” means every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices moved by human power or used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks.