§ 50–1541.05. Certificate of title required.
(a) Except as otherwise provided in subsections (b) and (c) of this section, the owner of a vessel for which the District is the state of principal use shall deliver to the Harbor Master an application for a certificate of title for the vessel, with the applicable fee, not later than 20 days after the later of:
(1) The date of a transfer of ownership; or
(2) The date the District becomes the state of principal use.
(b) An application for a certificate of title is not required for:
(1) A documented vessel;
(2) A foreign-documented vessel;
(3) A barge;
(4) A vessel before delivery if the vessel is under construction or completed pursuant to contract; or
(5) A vessel held by a dealer for sale or lease.
(c) The Harbor Master may not issue, transfer, or renew a certificate of number for a vessel issued pursuant to the requirements of 46 U.S.C. § 12301 unless the Harbor Master has created a certificate of title for the vessel, or an application for a certificate of title for the vessel and the applicable fee have been delivered to the Harbor Master.