§ 50–2541. School parking zones.
(a) For the purposes of this section, the term:
(1) "ANC" means an Advisory Neighborhood Commission.
(2) "ANC Act" means part A of subchapter V of Chapter 3 of Title 1.
(3) "Department" means the District Department of Transportation.
(4) "School parking zone" means a defined area of public roadway near a public school or public charter school in which certain employees of the public school or public charter school, as designated by the Mayor or the Mayor's designee, who are not otherwise eligible to park on such roadway, may park.
(b) Pursuant to § 1-309.10(h)(1), an ANC may request that the Department establish a school parking zone near a public school or public charter school within the boundaries of the ANC by transmitting a resolution passed by the ANC to the Department.
(c) Notwithstanding § 1-309.10(h)(1), the Department, no later than 60 days after receipt of an ANC resolution transmitted pursuant to subsection (b) of this section, shall:
(1) Deny the request by transmitting a written response to the ANC, explaining the reasons for denial; or
(2) Send a proposal to establish a school parking zone to the ANC that transmitted the resolution pursuant to subsection (b) of this section, any adjacent ANC within 1300 feet of the proposed zone, and the public school or public charter school that is near the proposed school parking zone, which shall describe:
(A) The boundaries of the proposed school parking zone;
(B) The methods by which the Department will implement and enforce restrictions on parking in the proposed school parking zone, such as issuing permits to employees of the public school or public charter school or installing parking meters that permit only employees of the public school or public charter school to pay for parking; and
(C) The hours and days that restrictions on parking in the proposed school parking zone will be enforced.
(d) The Mayor, pursuant to subchapter I of Chapter 5 of Title 2, shall issue rules to implement the provisions of this section, including provisions to address the following:
(1) Factors to be considered by the Department when reviewing a proposed school parking zone include:
(A) Preservation of pick-up and drop-off areas for students; and
(B) Determination of the size of a school parking zone; and
(2) Design of, display of, and eligibility requirements for any passes that may be used to implement a school parking zone.
(e) Nothing in this chapter shall be construed to restrict the Department's existing authority to regulate parking and the Department shall have the authority to establish school parking zones absent a request from an ANC.