§ 7–2508.02. Duty to register and to verify.
(1) Within 48 hours (not including a Saturday, Sunday, legal holiday, or day on which the District of Columbia government is closed) of:
(A) Release, if the gun offender receives a sentence of imprisonment;
(B) The time sentence is imposed, if the sentence does not include imprisonment;
(C) Receipt of notice of the obligation to register, if at a time other than sentencing; or
(D) Changing the place where he or she resides, works, or attends school in the District or elsewhere;
(2) By personally appearing at an office designated by the Chief to sign a statement under oath, verified by whatever documentation may be required, that provides, to the extent it is available:
(A) The gun offender’s name, date of birth, sex, race, height, weight, and eye color;
(B) The address where the gun offender resides or expects to reside in the District;
(C) Any other legal names of the gun offender;
(D) Aliases of the gun offender;
(E) The jurisdiction and a description of the offense for which the gun offender was convicted and the date of conviction;
(F) Fingerprints of the gun offender;
(G) The identification number of the gun offender’s driver’s license or non-driver photo identification card;
(H) The name and address of any school the gun offender attends or expects to attend; and
(b) During the period in which a gun offender is required to register under this subchapter, the gun offender shall comply with the following:
(1) Except as specified in paragraphs (2) and (3) of this subsection, no later than 20 calendar days following the one-year anniversary of the gun offender’s initial registration date, the gun offender shall personally appear at such office as the Chief may direct for the purpose of verifying the information required under subsection (a) of this section.
(2) If a gun offender required to register under this subchapter is confined to any federal, state, or local correctional facility, residential treatment center, hospital, or institution throughout the 20-day period described in paragraph (1) of this subsection, the gun offender shall personally appear as required by paragraph (1) of this subsection within 48 hours of release.
(3) If a gun offender neither resides, works, nor attends school in the District of Columbia, the gun offender shall not be required to comply with paragraph (1) or (2) of this subsection.
(4) The Chief may photograph the gun offender and require the gun offender to provide such documentation as the Chief considers acceptable to verify the information provided in subsection (a)(2) of this section.
(c) The Chief shall have the authority to maintain and operate the gun offender registry for the District, including the authority to collect and maintain gun offender information obtained pursuant to subsection (b) of this section and enter the information into appropriate record systems and databases.