§ 7–2509.08(Perm). Concealed Pistol Licensing Review Board.
(a) There is established a Concealed Pistol Licensing Review Board (“Board”) for the purpose of hearing appeals from:
(1) A denial of an application or renewal application for a license to carry a concealed pistol in the District pursuant to this unit;
(2) A summary suspension or limitation of a license to carry a concealed pistol; or
(3) A limitation or revocation of a license to carry a concealed pistol.
(b)(1) The Board shall consist of 11 members as follows:
(A) The United States Attorney (“USAO”) for the District of Columbia or his or her designee; provided, that if the USAO declines to provide a representative, the Mayor shall appoint a person who is a former employee of the USAO;
(B) The Attorney General for the District of Columbia or his or her designee;
(C) A mental health professional employed by the Department of Behavioral Health, appointed by the Mayor;
(D) A former sworn officer of a law enforcement agency other than the MPD, appointed by the Mayor; and
(E) Seven public members appointed by the Mayor, as follows:
(i) One mental health professional;
(ii) Two District residents with experience in the operation, care, and handling of firearms; and
(iii) Two District residents with professional experience in the field of gun violence prevention;
(iv) One District resident with professional experience in the field of victim services or advocacy; and
(v) One District resident attorney in good standing with the District of Columbia Bar with professional experience in criminal law.
(2) The appointment of members designated by subsection (b)(1)(D) and (b)(1)(E) of this section shall be made in accordance with the following provisions:
(A) Each member shall be appointed for a term of 4 years, and shall continue to serve during that time as long as the member remains eligible for the appointment;
(B) A member may be reappointed;
(C) A Board member whose term has expired may continue to serve as a member until a replacement member has been appointed;
(D) A person appointed to fill a vacancy occurring before the expiration of a term shall serve for the remainder of the term or until a successor has been appointed; and
(E) A member may be removed by the appointing authority only for incompetence, neglect of duty, or misconduct.
(3) The Mayor shall select a chairperson.
(4) Members shall serve without compensation, but shall be compensated for actual and necessary expenses incurred in the performance of their official duties.
(c) Four members of the Board shall constitute a quorum, except that 2 members shall be a quorum when hearing panels of 3 members are assigned by the Board to conduct a hearing and make a final decision required by this section.
(d)(1) Within 30 days after June 16, 2015, the Mayor, by rule, shall establish hearing procedures for a contested case review of any appeal, including the manner and time of appeals, and procedures for the Board to assign panels of 3 Board members to conduct such hearings and issue final decisions, pursuant to subsection (c) of this section.
(2) The rules shall include that the burden of production of evidence, and the burden of persuasion, at a hearing before the Board shall be upon the applicant or licensee that is challenging a denial of an application or renewal application or limitation or revocation of a license.
(e) The meetings and hearings conducted by the Board shall be confidential and not open to the public.