§ 7–863.02. Purpose.
The purpose of this subchapter is:
(1) To enhance the development of infants and toddlers with disabilities and to minimize their potential for developmental delay;
(2) To reduce the educational costs to our society, including our schools, by minimizing the need for special education and related services after infants and toddlers with disabilities reach school age;
(3) To minimize the likelihood for institutionalization of individuals with disabilities and maximize the potential for their independent living in society;
(4) To enhance the capacity of families to meet the special needs of their infants and toddlers with disabilities;
(5) To establish collaborative activities among agencies of the District of Columbia that administer programs relating to young children to maximize the quality of early intervention services; and
(6) To enhance the capacity of city agencies and service providers to identify, evaluate, and meet the special needs of historically under-represented populations, particularly minorities and low-income and inner-city populations.