§ 8–1031.11. Solid waste disposal [and transfer] and reduction fees.
(a) The Mayor shall impose:
(1) A fee on the [disposal or transfer] of solid waste at a solid waste disposal facility owned by the District sufficient to cover the costs of operating, maintaining, and improving the solid waste facilities. Beginning January 1, 2023, the minimum fee for transfer at District-owned solid waste facilities shall be $13.38 per ton. Revenue from this fee shall be deposited in the Solid Waste Disposal Cost Recovery Fund established under § 1-325.91;
(2) A surcharge on the disposal of solid waste at the District's solid waste disposal facilities of, at a minimum, $2 per ton. Revenue from this surcharge shall be deposited in the Solid Waste Diversion Fund established by § 8-1031.12; and
(3) A surcharge on the disposal of recycling at a solid waste disposal facility owned by the District where the recycling load exceeds a contamination threshold determined by the Mayor. Revenue from this surcharge shall be deposited into the Solid Waste Diversion Fund established by § 8-1031.12.
(b) The Mayor may impose a fee on a public collection property owner; provided, that:
(1) The Mayor provides the Council with an analysis of the feasibility and expected economic outcomes of implementing the fee;
(2) Any rules or regulations implementing the fee shall be approved by the Council; and
(3) The fee is proportional to the amount of trash generated at the property.
(c) Failure to comply with this section may result in an assessment of twice the amount of the fee or surcharge due.