§ 9–1108.11. Requirements for appointment and service on the Board of Directors of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority.
(a) A person who is appointed to serve on the Board of Directors of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (“Board”) shall comply with the following requirements:
(1) The person shall not have been an employee of the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (“WMATA”) within one year of appointment to the Board.
(2) The person shall have experience in at least one of the following areas:
(A) Transit planning;
(B) Transportation planning;
(C) Land use planning;
(D) Transit or transportation management or other public-sector management;
(G) Public Safety;
(H) Homeland security;
(I) Human resources;
(J) Law; or
(K) Knowledge of the WMATA region’s transportation issues.
(3) The person shall be a patron of services provided by the WMATA.
(4) The person shall serve a 4-year term with a maximum of 2 consecutive terms.
(5) Persons appointed to the Board shall file an annual report with the Council on or before April 30 of each calendar year. The report shall include:
(A) The dates of attendance at WMATA Board meetings;
(B) The reason for not attending a meeting;
(C) Dates and attendance at other WMATA-related public events; and
(D) An affirmation of the member’s use of the bus, rail, or paratransit services of the WMATA since submission of the previous report.
(b)(1) For the purpose of transitioning to a composition of staggered terms, initial appointments to the Board shall be made on July 1, 2013, as follows:
(A) A principal member shall be appointed for a term of 4 years;
(B) An alternate member shall be appointed for a term of 3 years;
(C) A principal member shall be appointed for a term of 2 years; and
(D) An alternate member shall be appointed for a term of one year.
(2) Thereafter, members shall be appointed for 4-year terms.
(3) Appointments, including appointments for the completion of an unexpired term, for fewer than 3 years shall not count for the purposes of term limits.
(c) To prevent extended vacancies on the Board, each person appointed may continue to serve until replaced or reappointed, for a period not to exceed 12 months.
(d) Each person appointed to the Board shall serve at the pleasure of the Council and may be removed for any reason, including failure to adhere to the requirements of this subchapter.