§ 4–1801. Definitions.
For the purposes of this chapter, the term:
(1) "Bar Foundation" shall have the same meaning as provided in § 4-1701.01(6).
(2) "Covered proceeding" means an actual or reasonably anticipated administrative or judicial proceeding in the District of Columbia to evict an eligible individual or group.
(3) "Designated legal services provider" means a nonprofit organization or clinical program headquartered in the District of Columbia that provides legal services under this chapter.
(4) "Eligible individual or group" means a tenant or occupant, or group of tenants or occupants, residing in a rental unit in a housing accommodation in the District of Columbia, whose gross household income falls at or below 250% of the federal poverty guidelines issued by the United States Department of Health and Human Services, or an individual, family, or group of individuals seeking, receiving, or eligible for service from a program covered by § 4-754.01.
(5) "Housing accommodation" shall have the same meaning as provided in § 42-3401.03(11).
(6) "Legal services" means representation of an eligible individual or group through the provision of advice or brief services, or representation in a covered proceeding, including limited scope representation.
(7) "Licensed legal professional" means:
(A) A member of the District of Columbia Bar authorized to practice law;
(B) A law student participating in an authorized, attorney-supervised clinical program through an accredited law school in the District of Columbia; or
(C) A member of the bar of another jurisdiction who is legally permitted to appear and represent a specific client in a particular proceeding in the court or other forum in which the matter is pending.
(8) "Rental unit" shall have the same meaning as provided in § 42-3401.03(16).